Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Literary Stylings #1: Auntie Mame

Hello, hello, hello!  Welcome to my first ever Literary Stylings post and Link Party.  Today, I am posting an outfit inspired by the book, Auntie Mame, by Patrick Dennis.

I can't remember how old I was when I first saw the movie, Auntie Mame, but I absolutely adored it, and Mame, from the very beginning.  I actually didn't even know that it was a book until a few weeks ago when I was wandering through my favorite used book store and stumbled upon a copy.  The book turned out to be as much of a delight as the movie was and I fell in love with Mame all over again.

Today's outfit is inspired by a scene early on in the book where the narrator first meets his Auntie Mame.  In the scene, Mame is well into her "Asian influence" period so she's dressed in a full kimono to host a fabulous soiree.  Here is my look:




For this outfit, I layered a kimono-esque thingamajig (I think vintage & I think from the sticky thrift store) over a micro-pleated dress (Goodwill) .  I finished the look with Seychelles "Mum" sandals, some layered necklaces and a vintage rhinestone bracelet:



Mame would, of course, have worn diamonds, but I'm channeling after-the-crash-Mame.


I look skeptical but I was quite excited to be swanning about in this.

I really, really liked this look.  I felt tall and fabulous, but still well within my comfort zone.  Mame was a great believer in authenticity so I think she'd appreciate that my look, while inspired by her, is still very much me.


And now, over to you all.  I can't wait to see what everyone wears!



Not a blogger?  I'd love to see your literature-inspired photos on the Fashion for Giants Facebook Page!

Thank you to everyone who was able to participate; I know it was very short notice.  If you didn't get a chance to join in this time around, you can read more about the Literary Stylings Challenge here and hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday, August 6th!

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

Gracey


No comments:

Post a Comment