Friday, November 29, 2013

November’s Books & A Link Up Reminder


I did a bit of traveling this month so I picked up some easier reads than in previous months.  And because I spent quite a bit of time in planes and cars, I was able to get through five of them. 

Heart-Shaped Box, by Joe Hill


I have a confession to make; I like to read Stephen King.  I know he doesn’t tackle women’s issues like my beloved Margaret Atwood, but I like him.  I re-read the Dark Tower series every few years and remain a huge fan of It, The Talisman and The Stand.  Well, Joe Hill is Stephen King’s son and that’s how I ended up reading this book.  It is a horror story and it wasn’t bad, but I definitely prefer his father’s work.  That being said, if you like horror and think King is overwrought (he is NOT, btw), you might like Hill.


Bangkok 8, by John Burdett


This is a mystery novel set in Bangor, Maine.  Hahahaha, just kidding.  It’s a mystery novel set in Bangkok, Thailand and is a quick, easy read.  As long you don’t mind the narrator telling you all the things you don’t understand because you’re a spiritually unenlightened Westerner.


Bangkok Tattoo, by John Burdett


This book is the sequel to Bangkok 8 and is narrated by the same Thai police detective who thought Westerners were unenlightened jerks in the first book.  He still thinks Westerners are unenlightened jerks.


Boomsday, by Christopher Buckley


Wow.  Okay, the premise of this book is horrible, but given the current issues facing Social Security, you can see why the author came up with it.  It being a plan to incentivize baby boomers to euthanize themselves by a certain age to keep the Social Security Administration, and the Federal Government, from going bankrupt trying to pay social security to the millions of boomers set to retire all at once.  It was... interesting.  Buckley is, of course, the author of Thank You For Smoking, so it’s very much a satire, but it was still a disturbing one.


Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins

 
I'm guessing there is not a lot I can tell you about this book that you'd don't already know.  Unless, of course, you've been on an ice breaker in the North Pole for the past five or so years without any access to the internet or a library.  In which case, welcome back and read this book.  Start with The Hunger Games first though, okay?  As for me, I just re-read this book in preparation for watching the movie sometime over this long holiday weekend.

I'm not sure which of these book will be my inspiration for my Literary Stylings Link Party, but it is definitely still on for Tuesday and I hope you all can join in!  Want to learn more about it?  You can find the rules, such as they are, here.

Happy Friday, All!

Gracey

No comments:

Post a Comment