Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hip Buttons



I thrifted this blouse last month.  The tags are cut out, but I’m pretty sure it’s from the 80s:


How can I tell?  Well, there were shoulder pads, which I removed, the color scheme is questionable at best, and there are hip buttons.  Ridiculous, gold-accented, non-functional hip buttons.  I seem to have a vague recollection of the 80s being a time when they put buttons on everything (much like the early 2010s being a time when they put birds on everything).

I also think it might be from the 80s because I have no idea how to style it.  I’ve found that a lot of the clothes I’m viscerally drawn to but don’t know what to do with are from the 80s.  Basically, clothing love – styling ideas = 80s.  And today’s blouse definitely fits that equation; I adore it and have no idea what to do with it:



I knew I had to layer the top over something, in this case, a black tank (Target), otherwise we’d have an “oh, hey there, boobs” moment for real.  But, aside from that obvious piece, I had no idea what to do with it.  I thought at first that I needed to go with skinny bottoms to balance the blouson effect of the blouse.  That turned out to be a surprisingly horrible idea, so I did the opposite; instead of skinnies, I decided to go with a wide leg jean (Banana Republic).  I also added platform booties (Nine West via TJ Maxx), a vintage moss agate necklace (Lil’ Gypsy Vintage) and a vintage Monet bracelet (Red Fox Vintage).

And I think it worked.  Of course, I have no idea how I’ll wear it next time around, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Happy Tuesday, All!

Gracey

No comments:

Post a Comment