Friday, May 24, 2013

What I Learned at Blogwarts: Layering

So, it turns out that Blogwarts is totally a real thing and they let me audit a class on layering.  Since many of you indicated on Wednesday’s post that you also have trouble layering dresses and blouses, so I thought I’d share what I learned.


Let’s talk first about the dress.

It should be a heavier-weight fabric.  I, personally, prefer ponte, a tightly-woven and therefore, heavier knit.

It should not be skin tight.  Especially in your curvier areas.  As I mentioned Wednesday, I went with a fit and flare dress because it gave me extra room around the thighs which is where I need it.

It should be structured (but not tight).  A more structured silhouette will help keep the look sleek.  A fit and flare dress, for example, will look sleeker layered over a blouse than a sack dress.


Now for the blouse.

Unlike the dress, the blouse should be lightweight.  Sheer blouses are very good for layering because they add very little bulk, especially under a heavier knit.

Like the dress, the blouse should be fitted.  This is especially important if the blouse is not sheer; a fitted blouse will help keep the bulk down.  Gap has some very cute fitted/shrunken boyfriend button-downs that I think would work.  They are available in Tall as well.

I also love the Caslon shirts from Nordstrom for this concept.  They don’t come in “Tall” but tend to have long-enough sleeves and are well-fitted.


For some suggestions on what to layer how, I created some Polyvore sets, all featuring the Mossimo Fit and Flare Ponte Knit dress from Target which is the same dress I wore in my post Wednesday.

Ponte Knit Layering 2
Mossimo dress, Ruche "Giselle" Pleated Necktie blouse &Lulu's d'Orsay flats

Ponte Knit Layering 1
Mossimo dress, Modcloth "First Class Cabin" blouse & "Both Feet on the Playground" flats

Ponte Knit Layering 3
Mossimo dress, Nordstrom Caslon shirt, Sole Society booties


A couple more tips.

If you can't find a bow blouse you like, you can always add a lady-tie to your look.

Belts are your friends; a wide belt, especially, can help keep the volume down.

And, if you're still not looking as sleek as you like, try this trick from Franziska at Franish; she's a genius.


So, what do you think, Reader Friends?  Would you try any of these looks?


Happy Friday, Everyone!

Gracey


** Disclosure: Actions taken from the hyperlinks in this blog post may yield commission/compensation for the writer. Please see the Disclosure tab for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment