Friday, January 27, 2012

FBFF for January 27th – New Trends

With Fashion Week just around the corner, most bloggers are beginning to focus on the upcoming trends for fall.  Luckily for me, Katy at Modly Chic catered to non-Fashion Week attendees this week and asked us about our feelings on current trends.  My fully thought out and not-at-all-slapdash answers to the questions are below.

1. For trends hitting the stores now, what are you coveting?

Tangerine, of course:


Pantone announced Tangerine Tango as the color of the year and I couldn’t be more excited.  It’s been well-documented on here how much I love orange and I think Tangerine Tango is an especially gorgeous shade.  I already have several pieces and have even already started wearing them:


Oddly enough, I'm also excited about printed pants:

From left: Robert Rodriguez, MARC by Marc Jacobs and Elizabeth and James

I say oddly enough because I’m aware that fashion gurus (and maybe even common sense) dictate that people with sizeable thighs shouldn’t draw attention to the size of their thighs with printed pants.  But, here’s the deal; one, I like a challenge and this will be my fashion challenge for this spring and summer.  And two, my thighs like attention; they figure if they can get public sympathy on their side, the UN is more likely to recognize them as an independent nation.

2.   How do your incorporate new trends into your wardrobe?

With as much panache and as little trouble as I can manage.  I’m usually light on the panache part, but I’m also light on the trouble part, so no complaints.  Mostly though, I’m just really careful about what pieces I choose to incorporate a new trend.  For example, with the printed pants, I’m not going to be looking for long, palazzo-style printed pants like the ones shown above.  I don’t think they’d work for my style and I’m not sure what shoes I’d pair with them.  No, I’ll be looking for cropped, printed pants that are still soft and flowy.  Soft dressing is another challenge that I’m looking to master this year so I’m trying to kill two birds with one stone.

3.  What trend are you seeing and not loving?

Mint green:

From left: Vera Wang, Jenny Packham, Vera Wang and Jenny Packham

Mint green just isn’t pretty to me.  I mean the clothes above are very, very pretty but the color itself is not pretty.  I associate it with hospitals and soapy-tasting mint-chocolate chip ice cream.  I don’t know.  Don’t ask.  And even though the models above appear to the average layperson to demonstrate that mint green looks good on everyone, I am convinced that it won’t look good on me.  Convinced, people! 

3.   Do you feel the pressure to constantly update your closet with the latest trends?

Goodness, no.  Which is probably the wrong answer for a blogger to give, but the latest trends don’t always appeal to me.  Or, if they appeal to me, they don’t always work for me.  Or, both.  Like mint green.  Mint green does not appeal to or work for me.

4.  Where do you find inspiration that takes the trend and makes it accessible to you and your personal taste?

My fellow style bloggers are a huge inspiration to me.  Especially those who take new trends and provide practical examples of how to wear them.  One limitation for me regarding new trends is that I can’t always wrap my mind around them.  Like, how would that look on someone who is not model thin and/or doesn’t have a Balenciaga budget?  I often get stuck in a rut of what I can wear or what looks good on me and can’t always see the potential in a new trend – seeing other bloggers wear something can help me see it in a new light.  Except mint green.  I’m not interested in seeing mint green in a new light.

I’m sure you all found this post very enlightening, or at the very least you learned to never, ever give me anything mint green for my birthday.  To see more enlightening posts/gift ideas, visit Modly Chic for a list of this week’s FBFF participants.

And have a wonderful weekend!

Gracey

No comments:

Post a Comment