Thursday, February 14, 2013

Textural Interest



One of the more difficult things for me is working different textures into an outfit.  As with most things, the textures that appeal most to me are not subtle.  I don’t just want texture, I want TEXTURE.  I want big, chunky sweaters and fur and the odd feather or seven.

Unfortunately, when you get into the bolder textures, they can add bulk to an outfit.  This can be problematic for everyone, but we larger women, especially, are told to stick to sleek knits for their slimming effect.  God forbid we look bigger than we are, or even our actual size; the oft preached goal is to appear smaller. 

Well, as I often do, I’ve thrown that rule aside.  This time in favor of some texture:



But, I’m not a complete fashion heathen, so I’ve tried to compromise.  My delightfully fuzzy vest (Design History) has a fairly slim cut and so adds texture without adding too much bulk.  The sheer blouse (Liberty Loves via Nordstrom Rack) under the vest and the slim cut of the skirt (vintage via Goodwill) also add texture without bulk.  I added a bit of leather with the boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom) and metal with the cuff (thrifted via Goodwill), all of which combine to create textural interest. 

 
At least that’s what I’m going with.

Happy Thursday, Everyone!  And Happy Valentine’s Day!

Gracey

No comments:

Post a Comment