Monday, August 6, 2012

Length and Volume


A couple of weeks ago, lovely Reader Friend Laurie, asked me how I wear my beloved dress and skirts without flashing my underthings.

A flashing waiting to happen...

The answer is that I don’t.  I just make sure they’re cute underthings.

I kid.  I kid.  The real answer is length and volume.  Well, length and volume and bloomers.  I don't wear tight skirts very often and I don't wear short skirts without leggings.  And I always wear bloomers.  

Bloomers, pettipants, bike shorts, foundation garments, whatever you want to call them, I don’t leave home without them.  In order to wear a pair under nearly every dress or skirt, I have them in a variety of color, lengths and fabrications.  Let's take a look, shall we?

DKNY Smoothies

Image via Bare Necessities

I absolutely adore DKNY smoothies (available at Bare Necessities and other retailers).  They come in multiple colors, are high enough in the waist to avoid what Sal calls Segmented Worm Syndrome, go low enough on the leg to avoid thigh rub, and have just the right amount of stretch so they help suck you in without making you feel like you want to die.

I have a pair in cobalt:


Between the Smoothies and the length of this skirt, it would have taken one heck of a windstorm for me to flash anyone.  Pleats are especially great because they provide volume without bulk; especially with flat pleats like those above.

In black:

This skirt is a bit shorter, so the Smoothies were definitely welcome here.  And again, the skirt is pleated so when I am riding my bike, I have more coverage, but without the bulk.

In gray:


Seriously, I cannot extol the virtues of flat pleats enough; they're just great for providing volume but still staying sleek.

And in nude:


This skirt doesn't have any pleats to give it any extra volume and there is no way I'd wear it without my Smoothies underneath.


Bloomers

Image via Amazon

I call them bloomers because that's more fun to say (although pettipants is pretty fun) and you can find vintage ones on Etsy or new ones on Amazon.  Bloomers are great for those days when you don't need, or want, to be sucked in.  And for those days you're wearing a jersey/knit fabric.  They come in a variety of lengths and colors and discourage your skirt from clinging to your thighs.

Because they come in a variety of lengths and colors, I have to have them in a variety of lengths and colors, including long, red vintage:



Hot pink vintage:



And brand new nude:



All of these dresses and skirt are prone to clinging to my thighs and the bloomers help alleviate that. 

So, remember, Reader Friends, the shorter you go, the greater the volume of the skirt should be to avoid scarring innocent school children for life as you ride by.  Pleats are the best for adding volume without adding bulk.  And bloomers are still relevant.

Happy Monday, All!

Gracey









No comments:

Post a Comment